The Great Bear Rainforest of British Columbia is the largest piece of intact temperate rainforest in the world. Towering forested mountains give way to richly diverse river valleys and estuaries teaming with sea life. The area is home to eagles, wolves, cougars, grizzly bears, black bears and the elusive Spirit Bear – one of the great preserves of wild animals in the northern hemisphere.
Spirit Bear Lodge is on the shores of the Pacific Ocean, which is home to orca and humpback whales that hunt and forage in the complex of fjords and channels. This trip is an exclusive chance to discover the elusive Spirit Bear.
The Kitasoo/Xai-Xai people share their ancient homeland with the Spirit Bear. According to legend, the local people believe that raven made one out of every ten black bears white to remind the people of a time when glaciers covered their territory so they can be grateful for the lush and bountiful land of today. They believe the Spirit Bear holds supernatural powers.
The Kitasoo/Xai-Xai people have lived in harmony with the creatures around them since time immemorial. They will share the secrets of their land and tell stories from their ancestors so you will see the world of the Great Bear Rainforest through their eyes.
- Accommodation for 4 nights at Spirit Bear Lodge
- Flights between Vancouver South Terminal and Bella Bella
- Ground transfers aboard 15 passenger Starr Taxi Service vans from Bella Bella Airport to Bella Bella dock (10 minutes)
- Return water taxi transportation from Bella Bella to Spirit Bear Lodge in Klemtu (90 minutes)
- Meals: Starting with Dinner on Day 1 to Lunch on the last day
- Table wine with dinner
- Guided full and half day bear watching excursions including transfers
- Guided additional activities: kayaking, cultural site tours, walking and beachcombing tours, volcano tours
- Evening big house interpretive tour
- Evening guide presentation/slide show
- Coastal watchman program user fee